Thursday, 2 June 2011

Stumbling Into a Djembe Session

June 3rd, 2011; time unknown
Location: Galway Ireland
Why: Because we all need to stumble onto djembes.

My second post was going to be a "catch up" to what I've been up to here in Galway but I gotta get today's experience down first.

I am still smiling from ear to ear. After a leisurely day sprawled out on the grass at Eyre Square eating, reading and people watching, it was close to 5:30pm when the sun hit Vancouver's equilavent of 2pm in the sky. I decided it was finally cool enough to go for a 10k run.

As I made my way back to my amazing living quarters (aka Jen and Hale's kickass flat), I decided to walk along the Canal instead of the street. My heart skipped a beat when I stumbled upon some people setting up some djembes, stools and candles. After inquiring and being invited to join, I decided the 10k can wait another day.

What happened in the next 2hrs will likely be an experience I will soon not forget. The instructor lead us into rhythms and songs from Ghana. Each progression of beats got more complex, adding texture and fullness that I remember from drumming back in Vancouver. The sounds permeated into our bodies and a wonderful sense of connectedness was felt by everyone, including passersby who stopped to take photos.

Experiences like these remind me to march to the beat of my own drum.


Big K, if you're reading this post, I know you know the feeling these djembes have on the soul. Russell would be proud.

2 comments:

  1. you're totally marching to the beat of your own drum! I'm starting at the beginning Davie - pretty excited to catch up on your past 6-7 months!

    Morgan

    ReplyDelete
  2. morgan! so glad you're reading my blog posts. i just re-read this post and can't believe this was almost a year ago. time flies!

    ReplyDelete