Thursday, 29 December 2011

Just a West Coast Hippie

Jeudi 29th Decembre, 2011; 13:19
Location: Ubud, Bali Indonesia
Why: Hippie chick loves Stanley avec un touche francaise.

J'aime apprendre le Francais! Moin les accents. Il fait tres chaud aujourd'hui. Et juste fini manger du pain frais. Magnifique!

Kay, that's enough French for now. More on this latest endeavour in another post. Or when I get a little better. How did I do Dylan?? Un petit peu mieux?

Yesterday I finished that tye dye dress so, no, I did not do my draw-ring. But I did today!!

8:34pm - Two ninety minute yoga classes and a hearty dinner later....

Day 11: Draw a Turning Point in My Life:
Back in 2005, I went to BC to run the Vancouver Scotiabank Half Marathon. Little did I know it would change my life. I remember hanging out at Kits Beach on Canada Day and having an epiphany. This was where I needed to be. To live. I needed the ocean. I needed the mountains. The fresh air. The beach.

It hit me like a ton of bricks. But just to make sure I wasn't a total nut-job, I came back that October - Vancouver's rainy season. I walked the entire perimeter of Stanley Park in the pouring rain and LOVED every minute of it. Three hours and 10k later, I was literally soaked to my knickers. And thinking how much a one way ticket will cost me. Since then, I have ran around Stanley Park truckloads and know every curve, turn and bump. I yearn for it sometimes when I am homesick.

Work in progress. Visualizing my beloved Stanley:

Easily one of my favourite places on earth. That's West Van in the background:

If I squeeze my eyes really tight, I am bombing past Siwash Rock on my bicycle, half baked with Monte and a bag of gummie bears:

I could cry sometimes at how much I miss British Columbia and my greatest love, Vancity. After 5+ years, I'm still pinching myself she is my home.

Day 12: Draw My Most Recent Accomplishment:
While I didn't draw the previous challenge on that actual day, I was strategically planning for today's challenge. You see, I had to finish that tie dye dress.

Did I mention, it was all hand sewn? With french seams and in the loosest rayon fabric ever woven? For you fashion savvy readers, you know what I'm talking about. By the time I sewed my last stitch, I had full blown sewer's rigamortis in my fingers. But it was worth it. The tie dye reflects what I really am most of the time - just a west coast hippie.

Close up of my sewing job. Hand sewing straight stitches on this fabric was brutal:

My hippie dress:

Rendered using Faber Castell coloured pencils and pen:

Apologies for the dark photos here. It's night time and my house only has mood lighting. It's all very romantic; just missing a certain young lad *wink*

Let's see what tomorrow's challenge is...Draw a Comic? That could be interpreted in many ways. Tomorrow is also 6pm free yoga at the Yoga Barn. Did I also mention I love the word Free? Check out the 'Joe Cool and the F Word' post if you haven't already.

Tres bon et bonne nuit! A bientot!

No comments:

Post a Comment