Thursday, 25 August 2011

Annoyed with Hanoi? Sometimes.

Tuesday August 23, 2011; 23:36
Location: Hanoi, Vietnam
Why: Vietnam: Mixed emotions....

I have been in Vietnam for 2 weeks and only today started to feel like the people are....nice. But that'll be my Hoi An post.

Hanoi, Hanoi....I crawled into your Old Quarters after a cranky 14hr bus ride that saw me cramped in the middle seat at the back of the sleeper bus with foam bits chafing my ass because the seat cover was torn to shit. I came into your capital forewarned about the dangers of your hustling style. Mama Poc and Papa Poc both said that you were "gwai ma". Daytyme said you Asians "be hustlin' all the time". True that on both counts.

What they didn't tell me was what an unfriendly son of a bunch you were. It wouldn't kill you to curl up your lips for a smile, even if it's fake.

August 26, 2011
10:33am

Did I mention how much I hate Vietnam's firewall? It just wiped out 2/3 of this post! Grrrr. It was a good post but that was three days ago. I can't even remember what I did this morning so I've given up on writing about Hanoi. And Hue. Aside from the touristy Ha Long Bay excursion, Hanoi wasn't anything to write home about. Same same with Hue. These two cities are just commercial gutters with grumpy and condescending people. And traffic that made my heart jump every time I tried crossing it.

Okay, maybe your pho is freaking amazing....
 
And Ha Long Bay is bloody spectacular, despite it's touristy nature:



Now let's see if this proxy I'm subscribing to will let me post some photos on facebook...

1 comment:

  1. That pho looks unreal (so does Ha Long Bay)!!!

    ReplyDelete