Sunday, 17 July 2011

A Slice of Pai

July 18, 2011; 10:07
Location: Pai Thailand
Why: Adventures and misadventures of a hippie-ish girl in a hippie village.


Escape to the hippie village of Pai was in order after some of the intense Muay Thai training in Chiang Mai.

A quick wrap up at A Little Bird Guesthouse, 160Baht and 4 hours later, Lyndsay and I had made our 762 winding bends to the tiny village of Pai. That was 6 days ago. Not much has happened and yet, much has happened since then.

For starters, Lyndsay was already sick with some sort of flu-like symptom. We decided on Pai to rest from Muay Thai training while she got better and I can do something different. So I decided on a 2 day white water rafting adventure, only to have that trumped due to excessive rainfall the night before. So it was decided that I would do a 1 day rafting instead.

As luck would have it, I ended up doubled over on the bathroom floor, expelling digested pad thai from both ends. Lyndsay had wandered off somewhere, probably to get some food and I just prayed she'd come back soon to help me get my rafting refund as I knew there was no way I'd make the trip the next day in my current state.

A knock on my door announced the tourist police and my heart sank. Lyndsay was at the hospital and had called for me. Slumped over the policeman's shoulder, he scurried me over to the Pai Hospital on his motorbike where Lyndsay and I found ourselves in states of misery on a gurney.

Blood tests, IV injections, drugs and numerous interruptions to the toilet confirmed my overnight stay due to acute food poisoning from infectious diarrhea - how lovely. The next 18 hrs was spent tossing and turning, vomiting and moaning until I passed myself out from fatigue. Talk about an escape from training.

Evidence of an overnight endeavour:



I checked out two days ago and have been on a steady diet of re-hydration drinks and plain noodle soup - neither have made me feel fantastic but I am grateful I am not in Lyndsay's state. She has contracted Typhus fever and will remain in the hospital until Tuesday. I will stay with her until she is released but hopefully before my visa expires on the 21st.

Besides this unfortunate incident, Pai life is really a slice of pie (roll eyes here). A hippie village with no worries, Bob Marley tunes and more dreadlocked Thais than I can ever imagine, I can see why people wander into this place - it's just so laid back. Mr. Guy Gorlais, the very French owner of Thai Rafting Adventure wandered into this little town 24 yrs ago and never left. Go figure.

A bicycle rental took me out to the wonderful countryside where farmers still harvest rice the old fashioned way:

On the road in my red cruiser with a basket. A basket!!

Me n' my ride:

 The very humble Pai Airport. Blink and you'll miss it:
 

Pai feels like a scene out of a story book. Streets are incredibly pedestrian friendly, nobody speeds, and nobody is hustling you into a tuk tuk.

Lovely storefronts on the main walking street:

The Almost Famous bar felt like being closed today:

I also rented a motorbike again - this time with insurance, ha! Fortunately, no smashing of any sorts happened. Phew.

As I sped away from the tiny village, I was greeted with the cool breeze through my oversized, awkwardly worn helmet:

The mission was to find the Mhor Phaeng waterfall, somewhere past the airport. After many winding roads and magnificent vistas later, I came upon said waterfall. 

A quick change into my swim suit and I was happier than a pig in poo splashing around at the base of the somewhat small waterfall:

View from the top:
 
Obligatory self portrait:

Austin, I finally got a pic of mango sticky rice! You would be proud:

As I come to the end of my tenure at Pai, arrangements must be made to facilitate my Lyndsay. Hopefully she will be out of the hospital by tomorrow. Also, I need to get some Lao money and devise a plan on how to get there by slow boat to Luang Prabang.

1 comment:

  1. Crazy stuff kiddo. Hope your feeling better and cheers to the great adventure you're on! Life is uncharted territory. It reveals its story one moment at a time.

    ReplyDelete