Tuesday, 14 June 2011

Last Overnight in Bangkok

June 14th 2011, 20:51
Location: Bangkok Thailand
Why: Gastronomic.

It is my last overnight stay in Bangkok and I'm anxious to move on to the next exciting adventure.

Despite the noise and pollution and getting some of the mandatory touristy stuff out of the way, the last couple of days have been enjoyable. Yesterday, I met a lovely girl from Sweden name Anne. Upon making my way to Golden Mountain, I stopped Anne on the street to ask a question and before I knew it, I'd forgotten all about Golden Mountain and we were chatting on about meditation. Turns out she was not staying too far from my location so we decided to walk back together and talk some more. She gave me info on the Buddhist Meditation Center in Chiang Mai to which I will be heading in a few weeks' time. I love connecting with like-minded people this way - by chance.

We had dinner together whilst waiting for her bus to take her to Koh Tao (which I will be heading to in 3 days). After email exchanges and hugs, I snapped a cute picture of us.

She is a dead ringer for Heather Barton, especially her profile:

I hope we meet up again some day. There was a really nice energy happening between us. This is all the more reason now to visit Sweden.

Being here in the rainy season has it's advantages - the obvious cooling effect. Hence making the last two days a bit less sticky. Still, the mozzies love my blood type **scratches legs ferociously**

With the touristy stuff out of the way, I have been exploring beyond the Khao San Road area and have wandered into all kinds of side streets with weird smells and families just living life. I have seen many different faces of Thais, all so interesting. All with a story to tell, even the countless tuk tuk drivers.

Yesterday, while out wandering, I came across a little shop selling snow cups: Green Tea Shaved Ice with Mango and Longan fruit - deeelicious:


Yesterday, I watched as my cook prepared my fiery pad thai with veggie spring roll:


Tonight, I had a yummy Tom Yum Noodle Soup: Sweet, spicy, tangy and savoury all in one spoon!

Next up is a 90min bus ride about 80km north of Bangkok to a city called Ayutthaya, Thailand's ancient capital before it relocated to Bangkok. Check out time is noon and I still have to plan my Koh Tao trip.....oh and I can't forget to pick up my Vietnam Visa....

No comments:

Post a Comment