Friday, 25 May 2012

Reflecting on 365+ days of wandering. Part Three...

Friday 25th May, 2012; 15:33
Location: Voyage Traveller's Lodge Cafe, Melaka Malaysia
Why: Reflecting on 365+ days of wandering Indonesia and Cambodia edition.

While I was hanging out with relatives in Vietnam, I got word from two friends who were going to be in my neck of the woods. I jumped at the opportunity to meet up with an old friend from Toronto (Austin) and one of my lovelies from Vancouver (Andrea)

First up was an impromptu country hop from Vietnam to Indonesia for a three week wander. This would become my first flight in months as I'd been traveling overland up until this point. One flight turned into four flights within a four week period as I worked out plans to meet up with Andrea in Cambodia after my adventures with Austin in Indonesia.

And so, part three....

INDONESIA
Jakarta, Bandung, Bali and Gili Trawangan Highlights:
Hunny Hostel's hospitality in both Jakarta and Bandung. The most delicious eggs florentine since leaving Canada. Meeting Anna and Wing at Hunny Hostel Bandung. Making the very local and daunting journey to the sulfuric crater. Flying Air Mushroom at Magda's house in Ubud. Tons of yoga. Living in the coziest house with an artist behind Monkey Forest Road. Driving my Scoopy everywhere. Fun times with couch surfers. Quality time with the young British/French lad that I was so smitten with. Seeing the most breathtaking rice terraces in the world. Cracking coconuts! Cecilia and Roman's visit. Lazy beach days on Gili T with my Austin.

Sometimes, a Canadian girl just craves a good eggs florentine, ya know? Poached medium of course:

Speaking of eggs, getting engulfed in the rotten egg smelling sulfuric crater on a day trip with Anna and Wing. Photo courtesy Anna Z:

Monkey sitings, a daily occurrence while driving through Monkey Forest to get to my house in Nyuh Kuning. Can you spot the real ones from the fake ones?

So in love with my Scoopy and miss her everyday since I left Indonesia...:

Jaw dropping rice terraces:

My amazing house in Ubud. Wishing that gorgeous young lad stayed in this room longer:

CAMBODIA
Siem Reap and Phnom Penh Highlights:
Andrea Cameron. The temples of Angkor blowing my brains. Getting blessed by a monk at Angkor Wat. Our driver Mr. Sith. Seeing Andrea squeal with delight during our fish spa. The young girl who sold me 10 postcards for $1 by pestering me for two minutes before saying "You buy from me, I give you alone time". Sold! S21 and the killing fields humbling me to the very core of my soul and having an amazing crying session afterwards.

Davie Pocstar + Andrea Cameron + Siem Reap = Much-Needed-Friend-From-Home Visit:

At Wat Ta Prohm, where that scene in Tomb Raider was filmed. It truly was ah-maze-balls:

Our driver Mr. Sith was faithfully at our disposal:

Walking the grounds of the killing fields and feeling my heart break again and again, especially at signs like this:

Visiting S21 Prison left me emotionally exhausted on Halloween Day:

My first visit to Indonesia left me returning for a second visit where I found that lovely house to live in for 2 months. Ubud Bali will forever have a special place in my heart.

Cambodia, Cambodia. How I wish I'd stayed longer. This was one of my shortest visits but has probably left the most lasting impression.

Malaysia will be part four. Wait for it.....

No comments:

Post a Comment